Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Dog and Wolfdog Behavior: Teeth Clatter, Chatter, Clacks

I've heard teeth chatter sounds from several high, low and no content wolfdogs. They all had one thing in common... excitement.

I don't recall any of the dogs using it aggressively towards humans, but have heard chatter begin when another dog approaches, so it may be some kind of a resource guarding warning.

I also have tried to find something, anything definitive about chatter, but everything I find seems to be debated. No true answers.

I don't wish to debate it here, but is anyone here familiar with chatters and clacks and what are your observations?


Here are some comments from Wolfer Magic Facebook about chatter, clatter, and clacks:

I've seen it in excited animals, I don't believe I've ever known it to be aggressive in nature, just highly excited/intense.

My pitbull does this all of the time and it's only when he's happy.

My nephew's husky does this very consistently - usually when she wants to play and no one else wants to play - in frustration, I guess. If you are sitting with her quietly, and you clack your teeth near her - she will immediately return the chatter and start to play with you.

Funny you mention this, my GSD chatters when he's getting ready for a walk.

Our Caesar, a low/mid Malamute male, chatters his teeth when he gets excited. I have to be careful when he's that excited and trying to lick my chin because sometimes, a little chin skin gets caught between his chattering teeth!!

3 comments:

  1. My malamute husky wolfdog just did a fast very loud chatter resembling a woodpecker hammering a tree. He saw my husband coming out of the loft and was extremely excited, as daddy is a goal each morning, and the prize he seeks is petting. Unbelievably loud, heard 15 feet away up the Attic stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Husky/Dove does this ALOT! I never heard another dog do it so grateful for this post. Dogs also have a 2nd olfactory gland in the soft palate called the Jacobson's gland. It appears to me while chattering he is taking in scents at the flews.

    ReplyDelete