Monday, August 19, 2013

Dog and Wolfdog Calming Signals: Moving Slowly or the Slow Approach

Even without my glasses, I can always tell when there’s a dog (or something dog-like ) in the distance, because at least one of my dogs will start moving in slow motion.

Sometimes this can be misread as stalking, but as a signal, the ears are relaxed to the side instead of forward.

The slow motion calming signal is a non-threatening approach to oncoming animal or human traffic. Usually, the approaching traffic is coming at a fast pace and puts the dog in an uncomfortable position of having to assess the situation.

I have experienced this calming signal from dogs more regularly during walks rather than jogs or runs. This may be because dogs moving at a fast pace are focused on moving, whereas, walking dogs are focused on their surroundings.

The slow approach is not only for the trail. It can be used any time a dog must approach something that makes them uncomfortable.

Being guilty of always running late and still having yet to walk the dogs, I see this calming signal more often than I should.

So it goes like this:

I'm standing at the front door with my keys and leash in hand, I call my Husky, an older female with a thyroid condition that makes her look like a stuffed sausage.

“Aims, outside!”

She’s on my bed as usual, while my faithful German Shepherd is already leashed, ready and waiting.

“Let’s go!” I say with a bit more oomph.

I hear footsteps ever so slowly approach the top of the stairs then Aims stands there, looking at me.

“Let’s go!”

Of course, she opens up her repertoire of calming signals and bows, yawns, and finally lies down.

Yeah, I get it. It’s all my fault. I should allow more time so I won’t have to rush.

So, my point... next time you think your dog is being a pain in the butt, consider your role in their actions.


For more about calming signals and a list of each article click here.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! los angeles business movers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this.. moving companies van nuys

    ReplyDelete