Monday, July 28, 2014

Dog and Wolfdog Training: How Jealousy Works

A HWF pack gathers around Kymberly Morris.
Last week, articles were shared across social media about a recently published study on dogs and jealousy.

You can read the in depth study here:  Jealousy in Dogs by Christine R. Harris and Caroline Prouvost.

Dog and wolf-dog owners agree that their animal companions do become jealous when they are lavishing attention on something other than them. 

Let's face it, we all have wanted something others have.

Take rocks for example:

If I pick up a rock and show an interest in it, my dog and friends will want to at least see what I have.

If I grab a rock from my dog or friend, I've increased the value of that rock tenfold and they will want it back.

If I painted a face on a rock and labeled it a "Pet Rock", and a few alpha kids bought one for $5, I'd be rich!

So, jealousy goes beyond wanting someone's attention, and knowing this can be useful indeed. The desired outcome may not be instant, but worth trying in certain situations.

Bringing Human Shy or Feral Animals Closer

I often use confident dogs to help socialize shy animals. The confident dog's body language makes a shy animal feel at ease around humans, but I totally play the jealousy card to move things along.

I instantly become worthy of investigation when surrounded by dogs getting attention and treats.

Retrieving Runaways

I admit there are more interesting things than me, like butt sniffing, squirrel chasing, stinky mud pits, and the dog park zoomies.

I'd love to think I could call my dog away from friends, but it's faster to bring the friends to me when it's time to leave. I also recently used my dogs as a "jealousy" lure to catch a frightened dog that got away from me when his harness broke.

Monkey See Monkey Do

I've had the pleasure of fostering some really smart dogs who watch and learn from my dogs.

They watch my dogs get praise for coming to the door for potty time, gathering and sitting for treats, and hopping in the car. Sure enough, without individual training, the foster will follow their lead and learn the house routines.

Jealousy Works

While "jealousy" may be the reason all these tactics work, it makes sense the need to have what what others have may also be key in the learning process of social animals and not just "an emotion that evolved to protect social bonds from interlopers" as the study suggested.

Used properly "jealousy" could actually be used for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment