Saturday, June 28, 2014

What a Dog Needs: Through Sickness and Health

Lt-Rt: Bella, Kris (foster dog), Amyami
Today was the first time I took my dog, Bella on a walk alone.

My other dog, Amyami (the black and white husky in the photo) is older, has thyroid disease, and has been moving slower these days.

Yesterday, she stopped five minutes into the walk and wanted to turn back.

I thought she would be happier staying behind today.

It may seem random, but some of you may know I had major surgery this year. I’ve been getting chemotherapy, and recently had a bad infection that put me in the hospital for two weeks.

I’m not complaining. I’ve been blessed with a body that has adjusted very well to treatment. But I must confess this past week has been my worst, which is probably why I called Bella upstairs to take a walk and left Amyami behind.

I thought I knew her misery.

While Bella and I walked, I began to feel better … and I began to feel guilty.

I realized I just denied Amyami the very things that pulled me thorough this year.

Nothing is more healing than getting outside in the fresh air (rain or shine), being with companions you love, and being productive.

Five minutes of moving forward is better than not moving at all.

I’m sorry Amyami. I owe you a walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment